MEDIA ALERT: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay Recognizes MowCow Lawn & Landscape as a Businesses For The Bay Founding Gold Member
(Annapolis, MD- May 15, 2017)- The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay recognizes MowCow Lawn & Landscape as a Businesses for the Bay Founding Gold Member. MowCow Lawn & Landscape joins a growing partnership of large and small businesses in the Chesapeake Bay watershed that are undertaking voluntary actions to improve the health of the Chesapeake Bay and its watershed, rivers, and streams. As a Founding Gold Member, the Alliance recognizes MowCow Lawn & Landscape for its commitment to Chesapeake Bay protection and restoration.
“At MowCow, we celebrate ‘practical environmentalism’ which means we routinely research and implement practices that substantially reduce impact on the Bay, while at the same time providing homeowners with the healthy lawns and landscapes they desire,” noted Dr. Cynthia Smith, staff environmental scientist. “We’re incredibly honored to be a Businesses for the Bay Founding Member.”
Since 1986, MowCow has been providing “Udderly Dependable”TM lawn and landscape services to folks in Northern Virginia. Because of MowCow’s concern for the Bay and their desire to reduce nutrient and sediment run off from clients’ lawns, MowCow has created Love the Bay lawn care options. You can learn more about Love the Bay lawn care at www.mowcow.com.
10 Ways MowCow has Impacted the Bay through environmentally friendly practices:
- Reducing pesticide and nitrogen applications by switching their lawn care from synthetic to organic-based programs.
- Voluntarily joining into an agreement with the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation to protect and improve Virginia’s ground and surface water by keeping excess harmful nutrients off landscaped areas and out of waterways.
- Training technicians to follow the nutrient management plans and submitting detailed fertilizer application data to the state.
- Partnering in a neighborhood to install and maintain a wildlife corridor.
- Educating staff on environmental protections and conservation led by their own George Mason University PhD environmental scientist.
- Providing environmental education for the public and local leaders.
- Educating the public everyday about the importance of using native plants and avoiding the installation of invasive plants.
- Informing social media followers about local environmental issues.
- Sponsoring local environmental organizations’ on the ground efforts. (Supporting the Prince William Conservation Alliances’ native plant demonstration garden at the Merrimac Farm Wildlife Management Area in Nokesville, VA.)
- Driving environmentally responsible hybrid trucks and smart cars.
Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay Business Partnerships Manager, Corinne Stephens, stated, “Through the Alliance’s Businesses for the Bay membership association, we help businesses to have a positive impact on Chesapeake Bay restoration, to expand their own sustainability programs, and to be recognized for their environmental successes.”
The Businesses for the Bay membership association provides a network for its members to share strategies and successes with other members and partners, as well as opportunities to engage employees in environmental efforts, and receive recognition for the valuable role each member is taking to help improve the environment.
For more information about this Businesses for the Bay Founding Gold Member, please visit Alliance for the Bay’s Member Directory or http://businesses.allianceforthebay.org/member/mowcow.
About The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
Founded in 1971, the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay, with headquarters in Annapolis, MD and offices in Richmond, Virginia, and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, works throughout the Bay watershed to lead, support and inspire local action and build partnerships with individuals, communities, governments, businesses and other groups to restore the Bay watershed and its forests, rivers and streams. For more information about the Alliance, visit: http://allianceforthebay.org
For more information about the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay’s Businesses for the Bay membership association, please visit: http://businesses.allianceforthebay.org or click here to read the 2016 Businesses for the Bay Annual Report.